Sunday, 22 May 2011
Easter Treats - Creme Egg cakes and Mini Egg cakes
This recipe makes a total of around 12-16 cakes. They are incredibly rich, but look really impressive and make a wonderful treat for Easter.
2tsp cream of tartar
4 tblsp cocoa powder
1 bag mini eggs
3 or 4 bags mini creme eggs (about 15-20 eggs)
1tsp vanilla extraact
enough water to make the icing mixture coat the back of a spoon
about 6 squares of milk chocolate, roughly chopped.
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
3. Gradually add the eggs, stirring continuously.
4. Add the vanilla extract, salt, cream of tartar, half of the cocoa and half of the flour, and stir gently until thoroughly mixed.
5. Stir in the milk, and then the remaining flour and cocoa, until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.
7. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes until the cakes spring back up when pressed. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
As the cakes are cooling, you can prepare the frosting....
1. Whisk half of the icing sugar, all of the butter and vanilla extract together for about 3-5 minutes until smooth.
2. Gradually add the rest of the icing sugar and the fondant from inside the creme eggs, continuing to whisk. You can add a tablespoon of milk at this point if necessary.
4. For the mini egg cakes, mix together the icing sugar, vanilla and water until the icing is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
5. Drizzle the icing in haphazard lines over the mini egg cakes, and whilst it is still wet, add the roughly chopped chocolate as decoration.
6. Enjoy! Preferably with a good cup of tea.