Monday 6 August 2012

Winter Vegetable Terrine


"What an odd choice of post for August!" I can almost hear you cry as you read that I'm about to launch into a very unseasonal recipe. Except, if you're surprised by the wintry tone of this post, then it means you're one of my overseas readers. If you're in the UK, I'm sure it won't surprise you at all, and you may well be in just as much need of some comforting grub as me. So, let's leave aside the horrible Manchester showers that got me wet through on my latest run (yes, dear reader, *run* - I'm sure it won't last!) and move seamlessly into the warmth and comfort of the kitchen, where the magic happens.

This recipe is adapted from one by the marvellous Mary Berry, as set out in her Complete Cookbook. If you don't have it, buy it - it's definitely the most well-consulted of the hundreds of cookbooks that I own. The amendments that I have made to her recipe are as follows:

1. I used turnip instead of celeriac, which Mr P turns his nose up at. It transpired that he wasn't too keen on the idea of turnip either, which is why a not inconsiderable amount of garlic and ginger were added to the middle layer - more of which later...
2. I was a bit too lazy to actually measure out the ingredients, so I guesstimated by vegetable size (I know, I know). I've listed both lazy measurements and precise Mezzah Bezzah measurements in the ingredients list below.

This is a super healthy veg injection, best served chilled. I found that it survived well in lunchboxes (see below), and was delicious with new potatoes. I also found that for those who find something so wholesome a little bit too goody-goody, this terrine is epic with a filthy dirty stilton sauce. Oops... I think I just dribbled on my keyboard a little bit there...


Winter Vegetable Terrine
serves 6

You will need a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin or terrine, oiled and lined with greaseproof paper on the bottom
Mary Berry's official ingredients come first [mine come afterwards]

Ingredients:
375g/12oz [3 large] carrots, coarsely chopped
2.5cm/1in piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
salt and black pepper
375g/12oz celeriac [2 large turnips], peeled and coarsely chopped
375g/12oz [2 medium-sized heads] broccoli
sunflower oil for greasing
3 eggs



Method:
1. Cook the carrots for 10-15 minutes in boiling salted water until they are just tender. Mary Berry cooks them with the ginger, but I put the ginger with the turnip, to disguise it for Mr P.

2. Cook the celeriac/turnip in boiling water for 8-10 minutes until just tender.

3. Cut the stalks off the broccoli and cook for 8-10 minutes until almost tender, then add the florets and cook for another minute.

4. Drain all of the vegetables separately and rinse in cold water, then drain again, very well.

5. Blitz the broccoli well in a food processor with one egg, and some salt and pepper to taste. When the mixture is smooth, pour into the loaf tin and smooth the surface.

6. Blitz the celeriac or turnip with another egg and salt and pepper to taste. When a smooth puree has been achieved, layer on top of the broccoli and smooth.

7. Repeat this process with the carrots and the final egg. Smooth this final layer on top of the other two.

8. Tightly cover the tin with oiled foil and put into a roasting tin. Pour boiling water in to the roasting tin, to come half way up the sides of the loaf tin. Cook in a preheated oven for about an hour at 180 degrees celcius. When done, the terrine should be firm.

9. Remove the terrine from the oven and allow to cool in the loaf tin. Then chill thoroughly in the fridge before turning out to serve.


2 comments:

  1. What meat would go well with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What meat would go well with that?

    ReplyDelete