Not that I want to toot my own horn, but this recipe is blinkin' marevellous.
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeeds
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginder
generous pinch ground cinnamon
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 courgette, roughly chopped
1 tin chick peas, drained
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 cup Camargue (red) rice
good handful dried apricots and other dried fuit if you wish (I included cranberries and dates)
handful dried soya chunks
1. Rehydrate the soya chunks as per instructions.
2. Dry fry all the ingredients from the cumin seeds to the fennel seeds for five minutes over a moderate heat, stirring frequently. Crush to powder in a pestle and mortar
3. Add the remainder of your spices to the ones you have ground, and mix together.
4. Fry the onion, garlic and chilli flakes and garlic for 2 minutes, then add the spice mix, rice, courgette and soya chunks. Fry for 5 minutes then add the chick peas and the fruit.
5. Add the tomatoes, and a cup of water, then half-fill the tomatoes tin with water and add that.
6. Simmer for 20 minutes and serve with couscous, or alone as a stew.
I repeat: Toot toot!