Thursday 10 October 2013

Friendly Vegetables

A long time ago, my lovely friend A introduced me to the simplest little curry imaginable... a curry with no name. It's nice and simple, easy to make, and ready in a little over half and hour.

It was also one of the few things I could stomach through my horrific morning sickness (a curry, right - weird or what?) It's wholesome and healthy and supremely comforting - hence the name I've given it.
 
Sadly, since she moved away from Manchester, I don't get to see A half as much as I'd like. But every time I make this, I think of her and it makes me smile.
 
Friendly vegetables
(serves 4)
 
Ingredients:
1 tblsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3-4 fist-sized potatoes, chopped into 1cm cubes
1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek
1 good-sized cauliflower, broken into smallest-sized florets
1 tblsp tomato puree
2 tsp turmeric
handful of frozen okra (optional)
 
Method:
1. In a large wok with a lid, fry the mustard seeds and fenugreek in the oil over a medium heat with the lid on. When the seeds start popping, add in the onion and fry for a couple of minutes until slightly softened.
 
2. Add the potato and cauliflower, and fry for a couple of minutes with the lid off, stirring frequently. If the mixture starts to stick, add a splash of water.
 
3. Add the tomato puree and turmeric and continue cooking for another couple of minutes.
 
4. Add a tablespoon of water, stir well, then turn the heat right down and replace the lid on the pan. Allow the vegetables to steam in the pan for about 15-20 minutes, until tender. If the mixture starts to stick, add a little more water, but the final curry should be fairly dry with a very thick sauce, rather than a runny one.
 
5. If using okra, add to the vegetables about 5 minutes from the end of the cooking time.
 
6. Serve piping hot, and think of your best friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment